Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Saturday, February 17, 2007

I have a question...

What the HELL are silver fish for?

Actually, I have two questions - also, what the hell are silver fish?

They're not fish, that's for sure. As far as I can tell, they are just little weird creatures that race around in terror (I assume) when I switch the bathroom light on. If I go to the loo in the middle of the night, I'm walking aorund on tiptoes trying not squish them all. Urgh.

They are mostly silver, but I've seen big brown ones too, and little translucent baby ones. Where do they live? What do they eat?

The all knowing wikipedia tells me the little buggers have been around for 300 million years. I don't know if I want an insect that old living in my bathroom.

The best sentence in that entry is: The damage caused by silverfish is negligible and they have no direct effect on human health beyond psychological distress to people who dislike them.

Well who would't dislike things this rough looking...?

Eew.

Oh, also Wikipedia tells me the adults can be killed by freezing, but it is difficult to kill the eggs. If I don't want them in my bathroom, why on God's green earth would I want them in my freezer?

links to this post

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they love humidity .
When you keep your bathroom dry they go away ;)

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Karl Pilkington share a delusion when you ask what odd beasties are for. It allows me to bring out a favourite (borrowed) phrase of mine: that it's just not susceptible to a teleological explanation!

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure Wiki also told you that they are in fact related to shrimps, and your favourite prawns, except that they are the ancestors of these modern crustaceans - that's why they love damp bathrooms. Bit like us and monkeys - related, not liking damp bathrooms! They are venerable and ancient and will be there when we are gone - make space for them!

1:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.