Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Not so different after all...

Everyone likes to think they are a little different. Not quite as predictable as the rest maybe, whether it's demonstrated through the clothes they wear, career they choose to follow or opinions they choose to share.

I guess I thought my difference was very much based in the choices I've made over the last 18 months or so.

2 years ago I was working in Brussels doing internships and living with my family.

Now I'm living in Warsaw, doing EVS and living with a gorgeous Polish guy.

Europeans move for love rather than jobs.

*cough*

Except for me obviously. Pure coincidence. I'm different. It was the exciting cv building opportunity offered by the EVS programme. Honest.

The moving to Poland thing, ignoring the Polish boyfriend for the moment, that makes me different. I've moved to a new country, managed to get the language up to communication level, made friends, got a new job, and learned more than I ever thought I would.

I'm not a Polish plumber who's moved to the UK to make money, I'm not a German student who's moved to Spain to work in bars and party all summer, I'm an educated Brit who's come to Poland to take full advantage of the opportunities available to me as a result of this fantastic thing called the European Union.

The profile of the average migrant within the EU is middle-class, skilled and well-educated, who generally has non-manual work in the country of destination, and has a positive attitude to the EU.

How depressing to be so average and predictable. I give up, I'm no different from the rest.

links to this post

3 Comments:

Blogger Warsaw Crow said...

Come now, what about the million parts that statisticians cannot reach? Surely there must be something special hidden there? We're not the European Union of Clones yet.

Well actually...now I think of it...I've seen 3 of you today ;-)

5:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us....

5:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha....don't believe everything the stats tell you, average and predictable u ain't!

p.s. i drove past a new Polish food store in Liverpool today and got terribly excited about it in light of your previous blog Poles in the UK

8:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.