Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Thursday, November 30, 2006

surround sound

I blearily opened my eyes. It was still pitch black outside and no alarm had gone off, so why was I awake?

The murmering voice continued, and I tried to block out the sound, close my eyes and go back to sleep.

Why would the neighbours have a radio on so loud I could hear it through the walls? I wondered, especially since the walls in this building are so thick... and it was the middle of the night... I realised it was no use. As long as I could hear the voice, radio or whatever it was I was not going to sleep.

Maybe it's coming from the bathroom I thought, as pushed away the covers and got out of bed. I paused before going down the stairs from our elevated sleeping space - accidents can happen when you're half asleep.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and padded down the stairs.

Pretty much fully awake now, I stuck my head through the bathroom door to ascertain whether the sound was coming from there. It wasn't. In fact it was louder in the bedroom. I went back and as I approached Marek's computer the voice got louder. It was a woman's voice, using a tone you associate with radio and speaking, as far as I remember, Polish. I didn't focus on the sense of the words, as I was just concerned with finding the source and switching it off.

The computer was off, but the speakers were on, and without using any kind of logic, I fumbled for the switch. I found the volume and turned it - the voice got quieter and quieter, I found the off switch and turned the sound off completely.

I glanced at my watch. It was 4am.

Before I drifted off again, I do remember thinking, that's very odd...

When I woke up this morning I told Marek what had happened. 'Not possible' he stated. 'You must have been asleep.'

I knew what I'd heard and done, and showed Marek that the speakers were off, although we both remembered seeing the on light as we were going to bed last night. 'But the computer was off!' He protested.

I got annoyed. I know what happened and I know it's slightly inexplicable, but a lady was talking from Marek's surround sound pc speakers at 4am this morning.

Does anyone have a logical explanation for this? Can speaker cables pick up radio waves? Does any radio even transmit at 4am on a Thursday morning?

After all, since when have ghosts started using surround sound?

links to this post

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was she saying? Was it "the twelve must die" or "it`s so cold and dark here..."?

Seriously, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voice_phenomenon

9:36 am  
Blogger Becca said...

Actually, it's annoying me now that I didn't listen poperly, but I wasn't at all spooked by it at the time - she sounded like she was talking normally and I just wanted to get back to bed.

Since then I've managed to completely freak myself out about it.

The EVP thing is about recordings though, and this was no recording. Just speakers connected to a switched off computer.

(a pigeon just cooed outside the window and I jumped out of my skin - time to go out)

9:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think EVP is generally about the transmission of voices of paranormal origin through various electronic devices, not just recording.

In your case, however, I think it was just the speakers picking up radio waves.

9:50 am  
Blogger Becca said...

I really hope so.

And if that's actually not possible, let's just all pretend it is.

9:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that`s right, it was the speakers. Happens all the time, right? RIGHT?

12:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were you I would burn the Devil Speakers right now. Or better yet, I would give them away to someone who is just in the process of upgrading his PC, like say ol` szwed here.

12:17 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

Unfortunately they're not my devil speakers to burn OR give away but nice try :)

I will NEVER leave them on over night again. Although part of me wants to, just so I can wake marek the next time a ghost speaks to me through them and tell him 'see? I'm not crazy...'

12:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

becca ,you should watch this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063522/

lol...

maybe this are the voices o some murdered jewish children ;)

4:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I'm concerned about is that you left the speakers on even though both of you were aware that you were leaving them on. Haven't you heard of global warming and the amount of energy consumed by stand-by devices? It was probably the voice of some irate greenie.
However - I do recall a radio play where some kids heard voices in the night and it turned out that their mattress springs were the exact frequency of radio Moscow, or was it an emergency radio frequency, I can't remember...

8:52 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

I know, we are terrible people. Although we only remember they were on because I commented on it after seeing the light on the speaker, once we'd switched off the main lights and were drifting off to sleep.

We were both just too lazy to get up again to switch them off. That was the price I had to pay. They will NEVER be left on again, brownie's honour.

9:11 am  
Blogger Gustav said...

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but it happens regularly at my house if I don't turn the speaker system of my computer or my DVD player off. I usually even make out that it's radio or some kind of short-wave communication. Speakers pick up radio waves by themselves. I'm no expert, but the electricity running through them creates a magnetic field, and...

Aw hell, it just works. There are no ghosts in your devil speakers.

11:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with Gustav. I have discussed this with Norway`s foremost electronics expert over the weekend and he assured me it`s possible. Apparently it happens more frequently in stand-alone speakers, than in speakers connected to the computer by a wire.

In any case, it happens.

10:11 am  
Blogger Becca said...

You burst away Gustav, bubble's all yours to burst, I don't want it :)

Yay! No ghosts here. That see-through woman who sometimes wanders around here must just be a trick of the light too.

:)

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.