Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Monday, February 06, 2006

Trips

The Pope's coming to Poland! I won't be around, but I expect his visit will be greeted with a great deal of interest.

Something which struck me as slightly weird in this press release was the whole motto thing. I never knew there were such things as "visit mottos" but this official trip will be accompanied by the moving words "Be Strong in the Faith."

If I were Pope (which I guess is pretty unlikely, as I would have to be Catholic and male) I think I might enjoy coming up with trip mottos. I suppose he has minions to do that though. Do you think someone holds that official title? 'Papal motto developer.' It must be quite a challenging job to be honest, one basic theme and the need to include motivation and drive in a way that resonates with past history and country priorities.

Anyway, I quite like the idea of mottos. Sure, they're a little cheesy, but they give a kind of grandeur to an official visit. Did Princess Anne have a motto for her recent trip to Poland do you reckon?

I'm off to Bonn at the weekend. My motto will be "Drink Much of the Beer"

links to this post

3 Comments:

Blogger Warsaw Crow said...

I heard once that Hollywood tried to save on copywriter fees by developing a software application for composing film titles and promotional mottos. Tap in a mix of powerful adjectives and nouns relevant to the film and the computer suggests suitably brutal combinations such as: Deep Impact, Hard Target, Maximum Risk and their relevant tag-lines 'Don't hunt what you can't kill', 'Don't Answer The Phone. Don't Open The Door. Don't Try To Escape.' - well you get the idea.

With Benedict XVI's latest 'Be Strong in the Faith', is it too much to suspect that Hollywood has exhausted the possibilities of the software and that its now in the hands of the Vatican's publicity division?

As for Princess Anne, her motto might be 'Rideth the capitalist beast hard.'

I wish you the beer well.

11:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if they had been paying attention, in the motto-writing department, to your useful girl-barometer they would surely not have forgotten to say: "and wrap up nice and warm".

Come to think of it, if they had noticed what year was being celebrated they could have added: "and best not mess with the language".

And how about "stay clear of politics"? Yes, I think so:
"Be strong in the faith, wrap up nice and warm, don't mess with Polish, and keep off politics". Much more mission-oriented and task-driven.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

I think you're both in the running for 'papal motto developer'...

8:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.