Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Thursday, January 26, 2006

My little brother? You're right, he's not so little...


If I could teleport somewhere today, my destination of choice would be Toronto. Without going into tooooo much detail, things are a little complex in Edd's life at the moment and if anyone deserves a really happy birthday today, that would be him.

Happy Birthday little bruv!

I was a little bitch of an older sister when we were young. My favourite clip from a family video, which demonstrates what I mean, goes something like this:

A child's playground in a London park. Sounds of children's laughter and play all around. A wide shot of the playground shows many happy famillies climbing, swinging, sliding and so on. Close up of the top of the slide shows a girl of about 6 preparing to descend. She is preening herself, checking around to make sure her spectators are aware that she will now do something spectacular. In the background one voice can be heard over the hubbub; a younger boy, of about 3, is at the bottom of the slide looking up at the girl with admiration, waving a twig and shouting:

Becca! Becca! I gotta 'tick!

The girl ignores him and the boy, as if used to being ignored, continues undeterred.

Becca! Look! Look! I gotta 'tick! Becca!

The girl, having fully prepared herself for her great feat, slides effotlessly down the slide, arriving at the bottom with a small smile of victory. She gets up
proudly and jumps off the end. Ignoring the small boy, she turns, as if to walk around to repeat, for her audience, her amazing sliding skills. The boy follows her, waving his twig and shrilly repeating himself

Becca! A 'tick for you! A 'tick! I gotta 'tick for you!

The girl hesistates briefly, looks down her nose at her younger brother and with one sniff dismisses it and him: Don't want it.

For a split second the boy's face falls, then with a slight shrug he drops the unwanted twig on the ground and follows his older sister.

I was heartbroken when I saw that. He was so cute, and I was so mean and full of myself and condescending and mean. Would it have killed me to take the damn stick?

I am sorry for the way I trampled you Edd.

Just so you know, if you ever got the urge to give me a stick nowadays I would definitely want it.

Happy birthday.

links to this post

3 Comments:

Blogger Monef said...

That is soooo cute! You guys look so much alike, it still shocks me!

4:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, tooooo cuute.....Belated Happy Birthday to Becca's bro!!

3:17 pm  
Blogger Krista said...

Becca, you are so cute in these photos that you don't even look human anymore. You look like a doll.

And Edd's expression in the top photo is priceless.

11:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.