Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Look! I'm blogging!

I know, it's very annoying.

There's nothing more annoying than a blogger who never blogs.

Well, bloggers who never blog except for the odd post to say they are too busy to blog are even more annoying I suppose.

And if I'm really honest, I find those people who stand *right* in front of the conveyer belt in the baggage reclaim place in airports, leaning over to see where their bag is, blocking everyone else's view, most annoying of all. But you get the picture.

The truth is I haven't quite got into the rhythm of Brussels life yet. And whereas Poland always gave me something to nit pick over, or laugh at, or find touching, Brussels is not being very consistently inspiring.

The nearest thing I have found to the inspiration of Warsaw's post offices, is Brussels' metro. Or more specifically the people who produce the signs for the Brussels metro

There were the suppressed bins first - they got me started. But since then, I've seen another giggle-inducing sign.

I saw it yesterday and promptly forgot what it said, just remembering it was mildly entertaining. So today I went armed with a camera...

It's not the beginning bit - all that English is uncharacteristically normal (apart from 'the customers' but we'll let them off that one). No, what got me were the inspired final lines.

A thousand apologies today. A thousand advantages tomorrow.

It's like the sign designer was sitting at her desk, twirling her pencil and dreaming about her unfulfilled dreams of being a poet. I'll show them! she thought I'll show them the beauty of my underused talents. These phrases will bring them to tears. Then they'll rue the day they didn't take my budding promise seriously. This will be the start of GREAT THINGS!

Then she came into work the next day to find the others giving her funny looks, and sniggering behind her back.

Labels:

links to this post

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A thousand apologies" today and tomorrow. I like that. I like that very much.

There are certain station on the Northern Line where that kind of hyperbole would have gone down very nicely indeed.

2:12 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I apologize for being that guy at the airport, but you see if you lean over just right and squint a little you can see your bag before anyone else.

8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.