Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Saturday, June 03, 2006

I'm having another crisis people

When I was 15 or so, I thought life went school, university degree, job. Oh, I knew about the parties and fun stuff too, but in terms of professional life I thought the pattern was a given.

Ten years on I see that so far it's gone school, university degree, masters degree, internship, internship, voluntary service, plenty of 'thanks but you're too young and inexperienced' answers to jobs I want and only insultingly low-paid offers for jobs that I'm over qualified for.

This week I'm back in my house-sitting role in the beautiful house in Wilanow. I'm getting paid to be here. Paid the equivalent of two weeks non-stop copy editing to sit around for a week and make the odd meal with food I haven't paid for. That's the kind of job I like and also the kind of job that frustrates me. I have a brain, I can think, I can work hard, I can be an asset to a team.

So why am I dreaming about setting up a house-sitting company for rich ex-pats? Why am I thinking I could be wealthy fairly quickly and buy a big Warsaw flat if only I could tap into that market and sit around letting money come to me. That's not me! I want to work for people who need me on a more fundamental level. I want to work with human rights issues, meet people who are discriminated against and do something to change inequalities. I'm giving up before I've even started!

This time next week I am probably going to have left my current job, and the house-sitting will be over. I will be back in the position of needing something to keep me going over the summer, before I am hopefully given an EU grant to organise a World Refugee Day event and I'm afraid it's going to be English teaching. Not the charitable English teaching I was doing before either, but the money-grabbing kind. Just as well I'm little-miss-be-prepared and have nearly completed a TEFL qualification.

Damn.

links to this post

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't ignore your entrepreneurial calling!

it can be a means to an end perhaps?

12:40 pm  
Blogger Monef said...

gotta agree with keji....you can't save the world on an empty stomach!!!
Besides, running this business you may well be able to get loads of bratty self-involved kids to do something for a good cause...

7:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.