Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Good old parents.

One of the great things about my Mum is her ability to make us laugh.

Despite her intelligence and systematic mind, every so often (at fairly regular intervals it has to be admitted) she will come out with a priceless saying. A saying so out of the blue, so seemingly unconnected to anything anyone has been talking about that everyone collapses into helpless giggles. Of course it then gets repeated and exaggerated so that random sentences have cult status within my close family and all it takes to make us dissolve into peals of laughter is a reference.

An example? Ok, 'We do have white door handles...' (I know a couple of people out there who know exactly what I'm talking about, and to the rest of you, I apologise.)

This stating of random phrases happened a couple of times over the weekend in Bonn, and just to see if it's one of those things where you just had to be there to understand, or if it translates to innocent bystanders I thought I'd share a couple.

1. 'Oh, I was talking to Cathy and she told me what she wants to do after she's dead...'

2. 'There's a fascinating programme about Catherine the Great on after my gardening programmes. You know she came from nothing, married the heir to the Tsardom and then killed her husband. She was a wonderful woman.'

3. 'The thing about Nordic walking is the arms...'

Oh, the Nordic walking quote has an illustration. Just to underline the stable mental state of both my parents, this is their demonstation of Nordic walking:

Aren't parents great?!

links to this post

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well.. I think they're hilarious, and I wasn't there, then again I can very easiliy imagine it. Nice picture too!

3:27 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

I think the photo captures the moment...

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priceless! I can't decide between "what Cathy wants to do after she's dead" (hehehehehehe) and and the Nordic walking...especially the demonstration....your dad looks like he's having a shindig...maybe even a hootenanny...hehehehehe!

9:46 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

They are priceless parents. Nuff said.

8:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.