Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Monday, November 14, 2005

What was that all about then?

We went to the cinema last night and saw Caché (Hidden) with Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteuil.

It was weird.

The synopsis: Georges, who hosts a TV literary review, receives packages containing videos of himself with his family -- shot secretly from the street -- and alarming drawings whose meaning is obscure. He has no idea who may be sending them.

Gradually, the footage on the tapes becomes more personal, suggesting that the sender has known Georges for some time.

Georges feels a sense of menace hanging over him and his family...


The storyline carries the film along, sometimes at a very slow pace, and sometimes punctuated by a very fast moving or violent scene which has everyone gasping and averting their eyes from the screen. The pace was interesting.

The plot also leads to characters hiding things from one another, to tensions between the main family members and a generally unsettled atmosphere, with lots of questions being thrown up about trust, responsibility, loyalty. I like films which explore human relationships and ask questions, but I had two main problems with this film.

I didn't feel much sympathy for Daniel Auteuil's character. He seemed to create problems for himself to add to those created by other people. Maybe this was the Director's intention, but the lack of sympathy meant that I cared less when his world started crumbling around him, and I felt that he deserved to see some of the consequences his actions would take.

Secondly, although I like to be asked questions, I also like to have a few answers played about with, or a point of the film to be suggested, even if left pretty obscure. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Hollywood-obvious so you can guess the next series of scenes, but a few options would be nice. When Caché ended I think every single person in the whole cinema turned to one another with that 'what the...?' expression and as we left there were people sitting in their seats still looking totally baffled.

Anyone else seen it?

links to this post

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Albeit I can't speak much for the French due to my terrible experience in Paris circa 1984, I can say this: they know how to make great movies.

Thanks for the interesting tip; I'll look for this on DVD whenever it comes out.

6:49 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

It's definitely one to check out if you're into french films. Let me know what you reckon afterwards though...

7:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it as part of the 2005 Melbourne Film Festival and I have to admit that it bored me nearly rigid and I walked out maybe two thirds of the way through. Who was stalking the family? Don't care. Yet another slow disintegration of a marriage wracked with suspicion and burdened with yet another ineffectual man played by DA? Really really don't care.

1:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.