Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Monday, November 07, 2005

Pijemy Po Polsku

Well, over the weekend I attended my first ever P3. It was a hoot. Oh my God, that's the kind of word my Dad uses, I mean I had a great time.

I admit I was slightly apprehensive about meeting up with people I only 'knew' through blogs... it sounded a bit geeky and the guys could have turned out to be psychos, although their blogs suggested otherwise. Turned out I had nothing to worry about.

The heated debating about Iraq among other topics reminded me of home. I like a good exchange of different points of views; makes me think of philosophy tutorials and my parents. And I especially like the opportunity to smash my appalling prejudices against Americans. For someone who knows a lot of very nice people from the USA, I have an embarassing inability to ignore certain Bush-induced stereotypes. Gus should be able to help cure me of this.

I realised this was the first time I had engaged in lengthy discussions, in English, with other native English speakers since I arrived in Warsaw six months ago. Integrating into a new culture and learning a new language is all very well but sometimes you just need a bit of a break from all the 'newness'.

As my (geek) brother said, it's better to have direct contact with a few other bloggers rather than just internet contact... makes it more human.

Now who can think of a good name for our community blog?

links to this post

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

is ed a geek?

5:37 pm  
Blogger Becca said...

Only if you consider the term to include people who are studying computer science, spend a looooot of time on their computer and are currently working at a computer firm.

I could be wrong though ;)

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.