Boo

Les gens qui ne rient jamais ne sont pas des gens sérieux

Be who you are and say what you mean, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Footie

So it was yesterday early evening and Marek and I were in our local shop stocking up on beer. The check-out girl smiled at us and said she guessed we were going to watch the match. We nodded and I added (in my best Polish) 'and I'm English'. She raised an eyebrow. 'Well, we'll see who is happy after the match then' she exclaimed and exchanged meaningful glances with Marek. 'I think it might be the English girl...'
We came home and watched Polish pre-match coverage , highlights of past England-Poland matches and statistics on who's won most in which place and against whom. Normal people on the TV speak Polish fast, but sports commentators have taken it to a whole other level. Seriously, I didn't get a thing (except for the odd mention of 'Bek-Ham' who wouldn't be playing, and comments on the rain in England and the venue of 'Old Trafforrrd' with a very rolled rr).
The match started and it looked like England was more awake than the Polish side. Marek suggested that whoever lost would buy us both cinema tickets the next day. I suddenly realised we should have arranged bets and said England would win 2-1 whereas Marek thought it would be a 1-1 draw.
When England scored I smiled. Silently. Marek scowled at me and said it was the fault of the rain. The poor Poles aren't used to it... whatever. Anyway, when the Poles suddenly sprang to life and scored a whole minute later he was jumping round like a fool with a big grin plastered across his face. Lucky for me it was only half-time.
The off-side goal in the second half got Marek worried and by the time the second England goal was scored he had quietly admitted defeat. It doesn't matter anyway as both teams are going to the World Cup, but if Poland and England play each other during the World Cup it's going to get tense. (For those who missed the action it's all here.)
The check-out girl was right. The English girl was happier than the Polish boy, but I really wish I'd got myself organised to have a flutter.

links to this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.